Multi-Vitamin, Mineral and Elements
Comprehensive Wellness Formula
"Detoxes, Alkalizes, Full of Vitamins, Minerals and Elements. You Won't Find A Better Multi-Vitamin." Dr. Mark Starr, MD
(1 Quart/Price Includes Shipping)
COMPREHENSIVE WELLNESS INCLUDES THESE IN THE FORMULA
- The Gift from Mother Earth Humic and Fulvic and the baseline of minerals, elements, and vitamins, they naturally carry. Humic and Fulvic increase nutrient absorption and delivery of nutrients to the cell. They also provide electrons to charge cell membranes and help restore membrane dynamics nutrients in and waste out.
- Over 310 of the Earth’s finest natural ingredients, you can’t buy a better multivitamin, multimineral whole food supplement for nutritional support.
- Practitioners use COMPREHENSIVE WELLNESS FORMULA to provide nutritional maintenance support for their patients.
- Dosing: Suggested maintenance serving is one ounce per day (one ounce is equal to six teaspoons or two tablespoons). At one ounce per day, a quart is a month's supply.
A Professional Full-Spectrum Nutritional Support Formula
COMPREHENSIVE WELLNESS is an ALL-INCLUSIVE, liquid, whole food, nutritional Health Product that delivers all the vitamins, minerals, and nutrients including many nutritional groups that help support optimum health and wellness:
- Nutritional Support - daily value of many important vitamins, minerals, and amino acids
- Biologically-Active, "Cell-Ready" Phosphorylated or Methylated B Vitamin Group, the natural forms the body can use immediately
- Powerful Antioxidants to neutralize damaging free radicals
- Anti-Microbial Support
- Immunity Enhancement
- Metabolic Support
- Cellular Electrical Potential Enhancement
- Cardiovascular and Lymphatic Circulatory and Blood Oxygenation Support
- Organ Cleanse and Detoxification
- Digestive Support and Colon Health
- Musculoskeletal Support
- Anti-Aging and Youth Enhancement
- Vision Enhancement
- Energy, Mental Clarity, and Alertness
- Stress Relief
- Stamina and Energy Enhancement
- Weight Management
- AND MORE!
You can count on Mother Earth Labs to use only the natural, biologically active forms of B vitamins in our products.
- Humic and Fulvic are one of Nature's most ferocious antioxidants because they can donate either a positive or a negative charge to neutralize a free radical on the spot, depending on which is needed. Selenium, a nutrient they naturally carry, is also a strong antioxidant, which helps reduce free radicals and their damage.
- Mother Earth Labs' COMPREHENSIVE WELLNESS also contains Organic Berry and Botanical Antioxidants well known for their ability to fight damaging free radicals and:
Pomegranate 4:1 Extract (Punica granatum) has strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties;
Noni 4:1 Extract (Morinda citrifolia) contains substances that help repair damaged cells in the body, activate the immune system, and have other activities;
Acai Berry (Euterpe oleracea mart) antioxidants, fiber, and heart-healthy fats;
Co-Q10, Amla (Phyllanthus emblic);
Super Berry Blend providing Polyphenols, Flavonoids Proanthocyanidins and Anthocyanins (all 20 times more powerful than vitamin E, and 50 times greater than vitamin C) key to the superior antioxidant capabilities of berries in whole juice;
and extracts of:
Wild Blueberry (Vaccinium angustifolium);
Strawberry (Fragaria chiloensis);
Cranberry (Vaccinium macrocarpon);
Wild Bilberry (Vaccinium myritillus);
Elderberry (Sambucus nigra);
and Raspberry (Rubus idaeus) contain strong antioxidants such as Vitamin C, Quercetin and Gallic Acid.
Whole Juice Phenolic Concentrates of Red Grape, Strawberry, Cherry, and Pear;
Mangosteen (Garcinia mangostana);
Goji (Lycium barbarun);
Grape Seed Extract;
Green Tea rich in catechin polyphenols, particularly epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG). EGCG is a powerful antioxidant. It has also been effective in lowering LDL cholesterol levels, and inhibiting the abnormal formation of blood clots;
Pine Bark Extract is able to act as an antioxidant because it scavenges, or collects, reactive oxygen and nitrogen in the body, and slows the body's production of peroxides. It also suppresses the production of free radicals in the system, and prevents the adhesion of several proteins that cause inflammation;
Grape Skin Extract contains a high concentration of Polyphenols Antioxidants;
Canary Island Marine Algae (phlorotannin extract);
and Resveratrol (trans) (Polygonum cuspidatum root).
Citrus Bioflavonoids are rich in Rutin and Quercetin, which are the strongest flavonoid antioxidants.
Antimicrobial Support and Immune Enhancement:
- Fulvic and Humic are natural antimicrobials,There are Humic and Fulvic-based antibacterial cleaning products used in hospitals and the food preparation industry. Pharmaceutical companies are racing to synthesize patentable molecules based on their structures. One pharmaceutical company has patented a Humic / Fulvic-based drug that purifies blood for transfusions, killing the HIV virus without damaging blood cells.
- Organic Ionic Minerals carried by Fulvic and Humic are critical in the production process of healthy immune cells, as well as alkalizing our bodies. As we restore the pH balance of our bodies, our immune systems have a chance to strengthen, catch up, and keep us protected. People who use Humic and Fulvic for a period of time report they rarely experience colds or flus.
- Mother Earth Labs' COMPREHENSIVE WELLNESS also contains a Special Alkalizing Group outlined above. Please note that these organic Herbal and Botanical Components well known for their antimicrobial ability to help give our immune systems a boost:
Garlic has potent antimicrobial, antiseptic, antifungal properties, which is why it was used to treat infected wounds and amoebic dysentery during World War I. Garlic is also effective against common yeast (Candida albicans) infections;
Olive Leaf has strong antibacterial, antifungal, antimicrobial, antiviral, antiparasitic; and antioxidant properties;
Clove Bud has antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal, and antiseptic properties;
Pau D'Arco (common name Taheebo) preparations derived from the bark have been traditionally used to treat bacterial, fungal, viral infections, and cancer. In vitro studies of compounds isolated from Pau D'Arco demonstrated antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, antipsoriatic, immunomodulatory, anticancer, and antimetastatic activities;
MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane) 99% potent anti-Candida (yeast) agent, provides sulfur for the production of antibodies (important in immune response), and is an anti-inflammatory;
Cloves contain some of the same phenols as Oil of Oregano, namely carvacrol and thymol, among others, which are highly antifungal in nature, as well as antimicrobial, antioxidant, antiviral, and anti-inflammatory;
Mangosteen (Garcinia mangostana) in addition to antioxidant effects also has antibacterial activity;
Grape Seed Extract contains a high concentration of polyphenols, which are antioxidants, and also possesses the ability to help the body fight viruses, allergens, and seek out carcinogens as anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic, anticancer, and antimicrobial agents;
Cranberry (Vaccinium macrocarpon) Proanthocyanidins found in cranberry differ from those found in other plants by their unique structures and very potent antibacterial activity. In the case of UTIs, these proanthocyanidins prevent E. coli from adhering to the urethra and bladder. Consumption of cranberries also turns urine acidic. This, together with the inhibition of bacterial adhesion property of cranberry juice, helps prevent the formation of alkaline (calcium ammonium phosphate) stones in the urinary tract by working against bacterial infections;
Elderberry (Sambuscus nigra) contains bioflavonoids and other proteins that destroy the ability of cold and flu viruses to infect a cell. People with the flu who took elderberry juice reported less severe symptoms and felt better much faster than those who did not.
Metabolic Support And Oxygen:
Giving our metabolism a boost is important in deacidifying, detoxifying, and cleansing all the cells in our bodies.
- Humic and Fulvic help boost our metabolism by helping to transport the vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients needed to support all metabolic activities.
- Humic and Fulvic also donate electrical charges to charge up cell membranes and provide charges for cellular processes that energize us!
- Humic and Fulvic also help to oxygenate the blood so more oxygen is available for our cells to carry out normal energy production (no lactic acid) for our body. Blood oxygenation also allows the blood to carry more acidic CO2 (the primary acidic byproduct in aerobic energy production) to the lungs that we release when we exhale. Proper blood oxygenation also boosts our metabolism so we feel even more energized, and as more oxygen is delivered to our brains, our mental clarity and alertness skills are heightened.
Mother Earth Labs' COMPREHENSIVE WELLNESS also contains herbal and botanical components well known for their ability to help give our metabolic level a boost:
Thermogenic Polyphenols in Green Tea, Ginger, and Cinnamon are included as herbal support to further boost metabolic levels;
Coenzyme Q-10 is a coenzyme that's needed by every cell in the body to produce energy. It serves its energy-enhancing function by acting in the portion of the cell known as the mitochondria, often referred to as the powerhouse of the cell. Here, it aids in the production of ATP, the most important form of energy needed to drive cell reactions and keep the body running at peak capacity;
Resveratrol (trans) (Polygonum cuspidatum root) helps prevent insulin resistance, a condition in which the body becomes less sensitive to the effects of the blood sugar-lowering hormone, insulin. Insulin resistance is a precursor to diabetes;
Blueberry (Vaccinium angustifolium) Research suggests that chlorogenic acid in these berries help lower blood sugar levels and control blood glucose levels in type II diabetes mellitus condition.
Cardiovascular and Lymphatic Support:
- Humic and Fulvic and their minerals play a key role in the regulation of blood pressure, blood pH for proper oxygenation, and normal heart contractility. Humic and Fulvic naturally carry all the minerals in their proper proportions that our cardiovascular systems need to function optimally. Many people with hypertension report blood pressure normalization after starting to take Humic and Fulvic. Also, Humic and Fulvic chelate and remove "mineral metals" from our bloodstreams and other cardiovascular tissues that can contribute to arterial plaques.
Mother Earth Labs' COMPREHENSIVE WELLNESS also contains herbal and botanical components well known for their ability to help give our cardiovascular and lymphatic systems a boost:
Acai Berry (Euterpe oleracea mart) Antioxidants, fiber, and heart-healthy fats;
Co-Q10 and Hawthorn Berry help fight heart disease and promote heart health;
Essential Fatty Acids are fats the body needs to maintain good health. They are also fats the body cannot make and so must come from the diet;
Flax Oil (rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids) Studies show that omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids help lower cholesterol and blood triglycerides and prevent clots in arteries, which may result in strokes, heart attacks, and thromboses. Helps protect the body against high blood pressure, inflammation, water retention, sticky platelets, and lowered immune function. Helps prevent Atherosclerosis (the accumulation of fatty deposits inside the blood vessels, especially the large and medium-sized arteries);
Borage Oil, Lecithin, and Evening Primrose (GLA) are rich sources of gamma linoleic acid (GLA), an omega-6 essential fatty acid that the body converts to the anti-inflammatory prostaglandin E1 (PGE1), a hormone-like substance that is important for the smooth muscle system, blood vessel function, moderation of blood pressure, and control of inflammation;
Phosphatides (phospholipids) Choline and Inositol in Sunflower Lecithin are major components of cell membranes and protect against hardening of the arteries and heart disease by promoting normal processing of fat and cholesterol. Lecithin itself helps to bind fats and cholesterol to water so that they can pass through the body rather than cause a potentially harmful buildup in the heart or liver;
TMG (as beta anhydrous), or Trimethylglycine, is used to protect against the damaging effects of a toxic amino acid called homocysteine, which has been linked to cardiovascular and Alzheimer's disease;
Green Tea rich in Catechin Polyphenols, particularly epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG). EGCG is a powerful antioxidant. It has also been effective in lowering LDL cholesterol levels and inhibiting the abnormal formation of blood clots;
Grape Seed Extract delays the oxidation of low-density lipoproteins, the fats that are responsible for bad cholesterol. The longer it takes for LDL to oxidize, the less likely it is to start clogging up your veins and arteries. People who drink purple grape juice can show an increase in oxidation lag time of 27%;
Digestive enzymes (see details under digestive support) help increase the oxygenation of the blood;
The Multi-Fiber Complex (see details under digestive support) aids in the reduction of cholesterol;
Red Korean Ginseng, Ginger, Cayenne, and Garlic helps to improve cardiovascular and lymphatic circulation;
Pomegranate (4:1 fruit extract) (Punica granatum) has strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, and has been found to be particularly beneficial in improving symptoms of coronary heart disease and periodontitis (gum disease) a marker of heart disease.
Blueberry (Vaccinium angustifolium) The most powerful of the berry antioxidants and has also been demonstrated to prevent oxidative and inflammatory stress on the lining of blood vessels and red blood cells;
Eleuthero (Eleutherococcus senticosus) (0.8% eleutherosides);
Wild Bilberry (Vaccinium myritillus) Contains anthocyanosides, which are potent antioxidants that strengthen blood vessels and capillary walls; improve red blood cells; stabilize collagen tissues such as tendons, ligaments and cartilage; and has cholesterol-lowering effects. They also increase retinal pigments that allow the eye to tolerate light.
In addition, Wild Bilberry helps to maintain the flexibility of red blood cells, allowing them to pass through the capillaries and supply oxygen. The herb has been shown to be a vasodilator that opens blood vessels and lowers blood pressure;
Strawberry (Fragaria chiloensis) A potent antioxidant, high in vitamin C, and contains two flavonoids, in particular quercetin and kaempferol, that research has shown help keep "bad" LDL cholesterol from oxidizing and damaging artery walls. Regular consumption of anthocyanins, a class of flavonoids found in berries, can reduce the risk of a heart attack.
The high polyphenol content in strawberries may also reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD) by preventing platelet buildup and reducing blood pressure via anti-inflammatory mechanisms;
Resveratrol (trans) (Polygonum cuspidatum root) helps reduce inflammation, prevents the oxidation of LDL cholesterol, and makes it more difficult for platelets to stick together and form the clots that can lead to a heart attack;
Cranberry (Vaccinium macrocarpon) Contains antioxidant compounds such as oligomeric proanthocyanidins (OPCs), anthocyanidin flavonoids, cyanidin, peonidin, and quercetin that may prevent cardiovascular disease by counteracting cholesterol plaque formation in the heart and blood vessels. Furthermore, these compounds help the human body lower LDL cholesterol levels and increase HDL good cholesterol levels in the blood;
Citrus Bioflavonoids improve capillary permeability and circulation. Flavonoids are highly effective at preventing and treating varicose veins. They help maintain normal blood pressure, and assist with swelling, edema, and respiration in the lungs.
Hesperidin in particular is often used for the treatment of varicose veins and hemorrhoids. A deficiency of hesperidin in the diet has been linked with abnormal capillary function, extremity pain, and leg cramps. (Hesperidin is found most abundantly in the peel and membranous parts of lemons and oranges.)
Organ Cleanse And Detox:
"¢ Alpha Lipoic Acid, an antioxidant that functions in water and fat, unlike the more common antioxidants vitamins C and E, and it appears to be able to recycle antioxidants, such as vitamin C and liver glutathione after they have been used up.
Glutathione is an important antioxidant that helps the liver eliminate toxic substances. Alpha Lipoic Acid increases the formation of Glutathione;
"¢ Horsetail Extract (Equisetum arvense, 7% silica, aerial stems);
"¢ Milk Thistle (Silybum marianum);
"¢ Alfalfa Extract (Medicago sativa) to help detoxify the body;
"¢ Goji (Lycium) Berry Extract is thought to help inhibit the precipitation of fat in liver cells. Also helps to promote the regeneration of liver cells.
"¢ Ginger stimulates blood and lymph flow and promotes eliminate toxins from the kidneys and liver;
"¢ Burdock Root (Arctium minus), a potent blood purifier that promotes perspiration and urine excretion, and helps eliminate fat;
"¢ Rose Hips (Rosa canina) to promote urinary tract health and a diuretic, also gently relieves constipation;
"¢ Super Berry Blend help to promote the function of the bladder, thyroid, kidneys, pancreas and liver;
"¢ Cruciferous Group Concentrates Cruciferous cabbage, broccoli, and kale concentrates detoxify carcinogens;
"¢ Raspberry (Rubus idaeus) is rich in anthocyanins and cancer-fighting phytochemicals such as ellagic, coumaric, and ferulic acid that bind carcinogens;
"¢ Diaphoretic Herbs: Elder, Garlic, Burdock Root to help gently stimulate sweat glands to remove acids and toxins from the skin.
Digestive Support and Colon Cleanse:
The Goal of Digestive Therapy is to help restore the colon's primary functions by providing all the dietary vitamins, minerals, and fiber our body needs, along with proper hydration, to naturally eliminate acidic wastes and toxins.
- Concentrated Humic and Fulvic provide all the vitamins and minerals our bodies need to help maintain the fluid and electrolyte mineral balance and reduce the need to absorb vitamins and minerals, all the toxins that comes with them, from fecal material. Less water will also be lost from fecal material, because water is necessary for the colon to absorb the vitamins and minerals that help prevent compaction or impaction. Also, vitamins and minerals are essential in the production of digestive enzymes.
- Humic is also one of the best fiber-like supplements you can take.
- COMPREHENSIVE WELLNESS Multi-Fiber Complex including:
Digestion-Resistant Maltodextrin, Apple Pectin (Malus domestica) A soluble fiber that has been shown to increase the excretion of lipids, cholesterol, and bile acids, and reduce serum cholesterol levels;
Cinnamon Bark (Cinnamomum zeylanicum) A carminative to reduce formation of gas;
Fenugreek seed (Trigonella foenum-graecum) Has shown benefit in protecting intestinal tissues.
- COMPREHENSIVE WELLNESS also contains a NutraFloraScFOS Prebiotic Blend digestive complex to help nourish intestinal flora and promote a healthy digestive tract.
- COMPREHENSIVE WELLNESS includes 8 Organic Plant Digestive Enzymes to help digest food properly including:
Amylase (starch liquefying and digesting);
Protease (protein solubilizing);
Lipase (fat splitting);
Cellulase and Hemicellulase (digestion of cellulose material);
Lactase (milk and dairy digesting).
The Super Whole Food Organic Green and Fruit and Vegetable Phytonutrient Complex inCOMPREHENSIVE WELLNESS contains:
Wheatgrass (Triticum vulgare, leaf only) Gluten Free;
Chlorella (broken cell);
Olive Leaf Extract (Olea europaea, 15% oleuropein);
Irish Moss (Chondrus crispus, whole plant);
Blue Green Algae (Aphanizomenon flos-aquae);
Horsetail Extract (Equisetum arvense, 7% silica, aerial stems);
Pau D'Arco (Tabebuia impetiginosa);
Spirulina (Arthrospira platensis);
Bee Pollen (Apis mellifica);
Whole Juice Concentrates of:
Noni 4:1 Extract (Morinda citrifolia) Contains substances that might help repair damaged cells in the body, activate the immune system, and have other activities;
Pomegranate 4:1 Extract (Punica granatum);
Apple, Apricot, Cranberry (Vaccinium macrocarpon) are rich in phytonutrients (naturally derived plant compounds), particularly proanthocyanidin antioxidants, which are essential for all-round wellness. Consumption of cranberries hsd potential health benefits against cancer, aging and neurological diseases, inflammation, diabetes, and bacterial infections;
Lime, Mango, Parsley, Tomato Juice Concentrates;
Red Grape, Strawberry, Cherry, Pear Juice Concentrates;
Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Brussels Sprouts, and Mustard Greens Concentrates;
Spinach, Kale, Asparagus, and Alfalfa Juice Concentrates;
Orange, Lemon, Celery, and Grapefruit Juice Concentrates;
Cultivated Seaweed (Laminaria digitata);
Extracts of Banana, Tomato, Apple, Kiwi, Strawberry, Peach, Red Grape, Blueberry (Vaccinium angustifolium), Mango, Cantaloupe, Pineapple, Cherry, Raspberry, Red Pepper, Eggplant, Plum,Elderberry, Apricot, Carrot, Ginger, Beet, Onion, Sweet Potato, White Potato, Broccoli, Spinach,Kale, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Orange, Grapefruit, Lemon, Lime;
A Super Berry Blend providing Polyphenols, Flavonoids, Proanthocyanidins and Anthocyanins (all 20 times more powerful antioxidants than vitamin E, and 50 times greater than vitamin C) key to the superior antioxidant capabilities of Berries in Whole Juice and Extracts of Wild Blueberry(Vaccinium angustifolium), Strawberry (Fragaria chiloensis), Cranberry (Vaccinium macrocarpon), Wild Bilberry (Vaccinium myritillus), Elderberry (Sambucus nigra), and Raspberry (Rubus idaeus). Raspberries are rich in anthocyanins and cancer-fighting phytochemicals such as ellagic, coumaric, and ferulic acid that bind carcinogens;
Whole Juice Phenolic Concentrates of Red Grape, Strawberry, and Cherry. Two of the nutrients in berries, chlorogenic acid and caffeic acid, help control blood sugar, thus offering protection against insulin resistance, Syndrome X, and diabetes.
Other Benefits Include:
When our bodies are acidic, calcium and minerals from our bones and teeth are called upon to help neutralize acids. Our bones can become brittle and fracture easily, as can our teeth.
- Humic and Fulvic provide calcium, magnesium, boron, L-lysine, manganese,vitamin D, phosphorus, silica and all the other minerals our bones need to keep them strong.
- Humic and Fulvic also provide vitamin C and MSM for the production and maintenance of collagen for healthy skin, bones tendons; Glucosamine HCl USP (Vegan) to support production of cartilage to cushion the joints, and Hyaluronic Acid to provide lubrication and shock protection to the joints; and Mangosteen (Garcinia mangostana) is promoted to support microbiological balance, help the immune system, improve joint flexibility, and provide mental support.
VISION AND YOUTH ENHANCEMENT
- MSM, Goji (Lycium barbarun), Ginseng, Vitamin C to support collagen production needed for healthy skin and a youthful appearance "” collagen is highly sensitive to acids and breaks down easily, contributing to premature aging.
- Wild Bilberry (Vaccinium myrtillus) has long been known for its beneficial effect on vision, including night vision "” and eye health, and contains five anthocyanins (antioxidants). Bilberry is also used for treating eye conditions such as cataracts and disorders of the retina. There is some evidence that bilberry may help retinal disorders.
- Carotenoids and other ingredients to promote eye health. A host of antioxidants also support a youth and vitality.
- Blueberries and Raspberries also contain flavonoid antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin, important for healthy vision.
- Acai Berry (Euterpe oleracea mart) is high in many forms of plant phytochemicals (antioxidants). Acai berries may contribute to an ability to slow or reverse typical processes of aging related to oxidative damage. In fact, the berries are one of the planet's highest sources of antioxidants.
ENERGY, MENTAL CLARITY, AND ALERTNESS
An Organic Vitamin B "Cell-Ready" Complex:
Ginseng, Rhodiola rosea, Ginger, Eleuthero, Green Tea, Alfalfa, Spirulina, Parsley, Spinachincrease the ability and efficiency of cells to generate and use energy, ward off fatigue, and improve mental and physical performance;
Lecithin also provides a high amount of phosphatide concentratil and also aids in the use of a variety of vitamins, such as A, D, and E. This increases the memory, as well as concentration of an individual;
Phytochemicals found in Blueberries, can reverse age-related declines in brain function, namely the cognitive and motor deficits;
Resveratrol (trans) (Polygonum cuspidatum root) may protect nerve cells from damage and the buildup of plaque that can lead to Alzheimer's;
Mangosteen (Garcinia mangostana) is promoted to provide general mental support;
Holy Basil (Ociumum sanctum);
Appetite centers in the brain are stimulated when nutrients are required, including missing trace mineral elements and even water. If we are vitamin and mineral deficient, these appetite centers are over stimulated. Also, in a state of Chronic Body Acidity, our bodies will produce excess fat ,“ primarily around our mid-section, to store excess acids and protect vital organs. Dieting is very difficult because your body is fighting you every step of the way. Leading weight loss programs try to supplement vitamins and minerals while recommending foods such as fruits and vegetables that are not acid-producing (including citrus fruits) to balance the diet and do not allow consumption of diet soft drinks, which are highly acid-producing and so stimulate appetite.
Humic and Fulvic provide all the vitamins and minerals the body needs to prevent stimulation of appetite centers in the brain that result from vitamin and mineral deficiencies.
VEGETARIAN AMINO ACID COMPLEX
Our bodies create proteins from amino acids.
THE FUNCTION OF PROTEINS
In virtually every biological process that takes place in our bodies, proteins are playing a role. They:
- Build, strengthen, and repair/replace things, such as tissue. Examples include keratin (strengthens protective coverings, such as hair), collagen and elastin (both provide support for connective tissue);
- Make antibodies for our immune system;
- Make muscles contract - actin and myosin, two types of proteins, are involved in muscle contraction and movement;
- Make enzymes. An enzyme facilitates a biochemical reaction;
- Carry things - hemoglobin, a protein, transports oxygen through the blood;
- Mediate cell response - rhodopsin is a protein in the eye that is used for vision;
- Store things - ferritin is a protein that stores iron in the liver.
Amino Acids are the building blocks to make proteins. There are 20 amino acids.
These 20 amino acids can be arranged in millions of different ways to create millions of different proteins, each one with a specific function in the body.
We receive protein from the foods we eat. When a source of protein has all nine essential amino acids, which are amino acids your body can't produce itself and needs to get from food, that food is said to be a complete protein.